Friday, March 25, 2011

Reese's Peanut Butter Cupcupcupcakes!

This past Monday was the 20th birthday of one of the coolest people at my school! I asked her what kind of cupcakes she wanted and the word I got was "CHOCOLATE". Okay that's the best answer in the world (obviously), but chocolate chocolate cupcakes? There are much worse things but for a baker like me that is just too boring.

There is a simple solution to this that I found out last fall when making these Almond Joy cupcakes - find out the persons favorite chocolate bar and make them a cupcake based on the candy. In this case, I asked my friend how she felt about Reese's Cups and lucky for me... She loves them. The plan was simple... Drop a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup into the top of every cupcakes before baking them and they will sink down into the cake as it is cooking. Then make a peanut butter buttercream for the frosting and... VOILA! A delectable peanut-buttery-chocolatey treat.

The chocolate cupcake part is simple. Martha Stewart has a recipe for "One Bowl" cupcakes that don't even need butter. I made these last fall as well and the recipe can be found here. The only difference is that each of these cupcakes will have a peanut butter cup dropped into them before they go in the oven.

The peanut butter frosting was just a simple and sooo delicious. Once again, I looked up a very simple recipe for this as well. (Okay, fine... This is from Martha Stewart too but what can I say? The woman is a culinary genius apparently.)

The only thing I had left to do was transport them back to school... On a bus. To solve this dilemma I went to AC Moore and bought two different sized cake boxes. I ended up (barely) fitting 15 frosted cupcakes into a 10"x10" box and tying a pretty yellow ribbon around it. Anyway, it looked awesome. And now the moment you've all been waiting for... the reveal of the cupcakes themselves!

Yummyyumyum. Okay so the candles were unnecessary... but so pretty! You can't have a birthday without candles anyway. Everyone knows that.
All lined up and ready to get on the bus!