Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Coconut Macaroons: Take 1

This post should honestly be entitled: "A MOST Epic Fail"... because that is what it is. This is one of the most disgusting things I've ever baked. I think it is only surpassed by the peach cobbler I made in middle school with old peaches and baking soda instead of baking powder. At that point in my life, my feelings were so delicate that my mother insisted on eating two servings. I cried the whole time because I knew it tasted like s#!* and she ate the whole thing anyway. I could barely swallow two mouthfuls.


Now, if you are a big (huge) fan of coconut like me you might be wondering... What could possibly have gone so wrong? The answer: I have absolutely no idea. The honey was melting out everywhere and if I kept baking them it would have oozed over the edges of the pan and starting burning the oven. I couldn't keep them in the oven even without the possibility of everything burning and smelling horrible because they had already been in far longer than they should have been.


My mom thinks if the kept cookie they would have been fine. I disagree. When I tried one it was sickly sweet coconut/honey/salt combination that made me gag. I will include pictures, the recipe and a warning. Maybe other will do better with this recipe than I have but I'm not risking it again. I am going to find another coconut macaroon recipe and try again because I simply love coconut. 


Coconut Macaroons Yield: 22


3 cups shredded coconut (I used sweetened shredded... possibly mistake number one)
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup honey
4 egg whites
1 teaspoon cream of tartar




1. Preheat oven to 350. Combine coconut, extract, and salt. Stir in honey until combined.
2. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form using an electric mixer. Fold into coconut mixture along with cream of tarter.
3. Scoop the mix into cookie scoop and press onto a greased cookie sheet creating compact balls.
4. Bake for 10 – 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool on sheet.

Gross.


honey melting EVERYWHERE
so unappealing...


Okay, do not be deceived. I know they may look like tasty balls of coconutty goodness, but they're not. They just are not.

And I clearly need to work on my photo taking skills. Sigh.