Monday, January 10, 2011

A Long Awaited Post and Banana Pecan Walnut Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies for the Soul

It has been a long, long time since my last post. I apologize to the three-ish (or less?) people who read this blog. It was an unintentional absence. As you can imagine, the end of my first semester in college was a busy time and then it was the Holidays. I didn't have time to post all the wonderful things I found myself baking over break but I am back in action now!

I made a wide variety of cookies, cupcakes and desserts over the holidays. I baked from scratch. Baked from boxes. And then I did something so very unbakerly (that's my new word. I made it up. Impressed?) that it shouldn't even be called baking... No I think "take and bake" cookies is more "faking" than baking, don't you agree? (They taste amazing though. Nestle sure does know how to refrigerate dough!)

Anyway. I was not lacking in baked goods over the holidays thanks to family friends, Christmas gifts in the form of food, my mother's delicious desserts (pumpkin cheesecake and tiramisu, anyone?) and my own skills in the kitchen. I will hopefully be able to write more about those recipes at a later tonight but today... We're going to talk about the Banana-pecan-walnut-oatmeal-chocolate-chunk cookies with my best friend Katie. (Yeah, same name. It's cool, I know.)

So one day Katie came over and said "Do you have something delicious you've baked recently that I can eat?" Okay clearly, she knows me too well. On this occasion however I had nothing to offer her because I sadly had not baked in a while. We decided to rectify the situation immediately by baking some cookies of our own to eat.

Katie and I made the most amazing banana cupcakes once and ever since then I've been wanting to do something else with bananas. Unfortunately, we're both disgusted by mushed up bananas so that part of this recipe was no fun. I had the unhappy task of squishing the banana since she did it when we made those cupcakes. Anyway, banana squishing unpleasantries aside, this recipe/experience was a definite success. We photo-documented the whole thing very well, don't worry.

Which further ado, here is the incredible recipe (or link to it, because I am that lazy today) and lots of photos to keep you entertained. Eat up!!

 ew.
YUM.
 My mom made this for me when I was much, much shorter...
 She made this for my brother. It looks good on Katie, too.
 We had an accident... poor wasted cookie. Just kidding. It wasn't wasted... I may or may not have eaten the parts that didn't fall on the floor.
 There was a NUT in my apron pocket!
 Katie :) What a cutie.
 Our weirdly perfect cookie.
 Me and Katie. The bakers. The aprons were my moms and grandmothers.
Finally product!!! Looks good, right? Wrong. It was delicious. Almost like a banana nut muffin in cookie form.