Thursday, September 9, 2010

Peach Cupcakes with Peach Buttercream

I hate fruit. Really. The texture is just... crunchy and watery and strange. It gets weirder. I love fruit juice, chocolate covered anything, apple pie, making smoothies with raw fruit... But for some reason I just cannot eat fruit by itself. This has always confused my friends and family and it continues to drive my parents crazy. The only fruit I would ever eat (and even then it was only occasional) were oranges. I am happy to say that at some point in the past few years I started eating oranges regularly and began liking pineapples too.

Then... Miracle of miracles! This summer I started eating more fruit. Strawberries, blueberries and peaches have joined the ranks of the select few fruits I will actually consume. I now eat fruit in moderation! Haha. Anyway. I'm getting there. And I will bake with anything. Some of my favorite cupcakes are banana cupcakes with peanut butter frosting and bananas are probably among my least favorite fruits.

So! Like the title says, this post is about peach cupcakes. My parents stopped at the farmer's market and bought an entire bucket full of peaches. Add those to the peaches we picked on the family farm and the fridge was packed. I took it upon myself to use as many peaches as possible in my baking. Sure, I could have made a peach pie (again) or peach cobbler... Peach crisp, peach crumble, peach upside down cake... But I have a special affinity for cupcakes, so peach cupcakes it was!

Sadly, this post will have no pictures. I made these cupcakes less than a week before I started this blog for my mother's birthday. Had I known that I was about to create a blog, I would have taken pictures. But alas! There are none. You will just have to take my word for it that they are delicious. Really. Here is the recipe I used, adapted from Smitten Kitchen.

Peach Cupcakes
Makes roughly 14
1 1/2 cups cake flour
3/4 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
pinch of nutmeg
pinch of cinnamon
6 tablespoons butter, room temp.
1/4 + 1/8 cups sugar
1/4 + 1/8 cups lightly packed brown sugar
1 large eaten, beaten
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (I always add a little more than it says)
3/4 sour cream
2 medium (or large!) peaches, peeled, cored, and chopped

1. Preheat oven to 350. Line tins with paper liners and set aside. Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon.
2. Cream together butter and sugar, beating until fluffy. Add the egg, scraping down the sides of the bowl. Next add the vanilla, and slowly mix in the sour cream. Stir in dry ingredients and gently fold in the peaches.
3. Divide the batter evenly among cupcake tins, about 2/3 full. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

Yum. Soo good. But what would peach cupcakes be without peach buttercream to go along with them?? I got this recipe from TasteofHome, but naturally I didn't follow it exactly...

Peach Buttercream
3/4 cup butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
1/4 cup peach puree (1-2 peaches)
vanilla extract (to taste)

1. Beat butter until light and fluffy. Add the sugar and beat until well combined. Add peach puree and vanilla and mix until smooth. (You can add food coloring to make the color "peachier" but I didn't. It looked peachy enough to me!)

There you have it. Peach cupcakes. Peach frosting. It doesn't get any better than that!